Elder Cody Denton

Elder Cody Denton

Monday, July 12, 2010

7/12/10 - Letter to the World

Hey World!!!! What´s up? I´m having a great time here in Nicaragua! My companion is Elder Burrows and we´re serving in the Puerto Cabezas stake (it´s not quite a stake). We are in a BRAND NEW AREA called Lamlaya. It´s never been open to missionaries before and the field is whiter than white! All of the people are at least giving us the opportunity to teach them. We´ve been there since Wednesday and on Sunday we had 20 investigators at church (35 if you could all of the kids). One of our biggest challenges is that a great number of the people don´t speak spanish! They speak Miskitu. My comp and I are anxiously trying to learn it. It´s rough! So far I know:

Nakisma - How are you?
Ninum dia? - What´s your name
Painsa - Nice to meet you
Isabe - Bye

Pretty impressive, right? We´re going to have lessons with a native member a little later today. He wants to learn English, so it´s a nice trade-off. My time is already just about up, so I´m going to just right down some quick things that I never new before I came here:

Perosonpopos (a type of lizardy thing) make creepy chirping noises when you try to go to sleep.

If you´re ever in a bind, if you crinkle up a peice of paper and unfold, it works just as good as any toilet paper...Don´t judge me!

Mosquitos have a CRAZY fascination with Gringos. I have 35 bites on my left hand!...but they don´t itch, thank goodness!

Nicaraguans use a plastic money with little windows in them.

If you want to point to something, you don´t use your finger, you use your lips.

If you eat enough gallo pinto, you start to smell like gallo pinto.

Turtle doesn´t taste as bad as it sounds.

If any of that comes across as complaining to you, you´ve taken it the wrong way. I love it here and I´m enjoying all the different experiences. It´s incredible to see the different style of life and I hope to get closer to the people as I learn more about there culture.

Well, that´s the Nicaraguan Report. I hope that you are all have a fantastic week!

Love you all,

Elder Denton II

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of mosquitoes out here in Wisconsin too. Not quite that many, but they are very attracted to Scott's head. Every time we encounter mosquitoes he comes back with several bites on his head, and I come back without a trace. Good luck fighting the mosquitoes. That is one thing I don't think you can ever get use to, but maybe you will prove me wrong.

    ReplyDelete