Elder Cody Denton

Elder Cody Denton

Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/4/10 - Letter to the World




Good afternoon, everyone!

I´m sorry for not writing last week. I´m sure you were all devastated to not know about my adventures here in Nicaragua. The truth is that everything here is pretty normal now. The things that used to shock and surprise me are not just part of my daily life, which is funny, because we just got a few greenys! It´s exciting to here the nervous voices saying ¨You shower with buckets?¨, ¨You drink out of a well?¨, ¨Is it always this hot???¨. All of us here try to be really supportive of them, but every once in a while, you just gotta laugh!

This last week we got a sign that we need to be harder workers. It was 8:00 pm and the power went out. My comp said that it would be too hard to teach a lesson without light so we went back to the house to get ready for bed early. My comp never writes in his journal, so I thought that since we had extra time, it would be a good day to start. He told me that he didn´t want to so I didn´t press it. He went to bed and I stayed up writing. My comp always leaves a candle lit when he goes to bed so that he can see if he wakes up in the middle of the night. At about 9:45 I noticed that the pages of my journal had a red tint to them, so I looked up and noticed that the curtains had cought on fire...along with the mosquito net and my comps bed. I jumped out of bed screaming ¨ELDER ELDER ELDER!!¨ and I started pulling the curtains off the wall. I put the fire out and we both went to bed. Since then, we haven´t gone to bed early...and I don´t think we will! ***** Don´t waste the Lord´s time ***** LESSON LEARNED!

Since last week was General Conference, we didn´t have any baptisms, but this Saturday we´re looking forward to baptizing Chiquiña and hopefully Vicenta! Vicenta needs to get married before she can be baptized, but first her husband needs to get divorced...gotta love nica culture! I hope to tell you about that baptism this next P-day.

I´d leave you with my favorite talk from general conference, but the power went out several times over the weekend, making it hard to know exactly what was taught. On monday I´m going to start watching the talks at the Cyber. Although I can´t share my favorite talk, I do want you to think about how blessed we are to have a living prophet that loves us and recieves revelation directly from God. I used to take that for granted, but sharing the message daily with the people here has really forced me to realized the importance of it. If you have a spare minute, look up an old conference talk that you liked, read through it.

I hope you all have a fantastic week. Remember who you are. Hagan lo justo!

Elder Denton II

No comments:

Post a Comment